Skip to main content

FORTunate

October 24, 2019

This week was SO good!! I cant even explain all the emotions I have felt this week, and the miracles I have seen, but I will try to convey everything accurately. And sorry its a long email, its just been so so good so I want to include everything.


So first of all, we went to the Mexico City temple! It was so awesome doing an entire endownment session in spanish, and it was so beautiful. That temple is the largest temple outside of the United States, which is really cool! It was such a unique and memorable experience for me. I have pictures of it that I will send in this email!

Elder Martin and I taught more lessons this week. On Thursday, we didnt have time to prepare a lesson plan, so we went into the lesson with 0 idea of what was going to happen. We were so unprepared, but we prayed for help and for the ability to remember what we have learned, and for the spirit to be there. And it worked! I said things in spanish I had never said before, and the lesson went PERFECTLY!  It was definitely the gift of tounges. My teacher said she was really proud of me for being able to do that, but honestly I feel like it wasnt me that did it, it was Heavenly Father, because I used words that I had never used before. I think Heavenly Father just wanted me to know that He is taking care of me and I dont need to worry so much about the language. Ever since then, our lessons have been going a lot better because I gained more confidence in my ability to speak. That experience gave me a lot of hope that I can actually do this! Mosiah 8:18 says, "Thus God provided a means that man, through faith, might work might miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings." And then on Monday, we taught a lesson to Jorge, and we taught him about the plan of salvation. I dont know why we taught that to him, I just had a feeling he might need to hear it. Well, that feeling was right. It was a really good lesson, and he opened up to us a lot because we established a lot of trust between us and him. He shared about his father that passed away a year ago, and he started crying during our lesson. Then my companion and I were crying, and we were all just getting emotional. The spirit was really strong, and it was a really awesome experience. I cant believe we were able to get such powerful emotions out of a conversation in a language we barely know!

For the rest of my time here, every Tuesday and Saturday we are assigned NEW companions for the day, but they are latino. So I have to talk in spanish all day with that new companion, because its the only language they know. It is really good practice, but it frustrating when I dont know how to tell him something. Yesterday was my first day and I actually got put into a trio! My latino companion is Elder Olivas, and my other campanion is Elder Roemich, who is in my district, so I know him pretty well. Elder Olivas is from Nicaragua and only knows a few words in english. It was so much fun speaking spanish with them, even though we didnt understand eachother half the time. Thank goodness for google translate. I also had to teach some latinos some english, which was SO MUCH FUN! But I didnt know how to explain the words "doubt" , "know" , and "prove" because they are spelled differently than they are pronounced. It was hard to explain that in spanish, but it was very entertaining to watch them figure it out.

Probably 75% of the people at the MTC got sick this week, and we think its because the food is no bueno. But we get through it. The enfurmaria said they are going to "have a talk" with the cafeteria because we are ALL having major digestive problems. The past few days, me and some other people who are sick spent a lot of time in the casa because we were told to rest. With all that time in our casa, I MADE A FORT! It was awesome, I'll send a picture of it in this email. I dont want to brag or anything, but like... it was very impressive. The enfurmaria told me to go on a diet where I eat only fruits and vegetables for every meal. They basically told me to stop eating the food here. So. Thats fun. Ive been living off of pineapple and rice for every meal for the past few days. The only thing going through my mind is how excited I am to get some New York pizza.

Anyway, I'm out here living my best life as a true latino. I am working hard and changing lives. There have been hard times, but the good times make it worth it. Glad everything is going well at home! Gracias for your emails and pictures, I love receiving things to read!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...