Skip to main content

"Welcome to New York"

November 10, 2019

"And I was lead by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless, I went forth..." - 1 Nephi 4:6-7


The last few days have been absolutely crazy! My last day in the CCM, I was asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting in spanish, and my district and I also sang a song during the meeting. All of that and much more, plus saying goodbye to my amazing teachers and good friends I have made in the CCM. It was a sad day but I was very excited to move on. The guy next to me on the flight was watching Avengers: Endgame! That is my favorite movie, but I know I am not allowed to watch it, so I struggled the whole flight ignoring the art before my eyes. I distracted myself by watching a nature documentary on the airplane TV, but without audio because I don't have headphones. It seemed like it was educational.

We got to the Atlanta, Georgia airport, and a lady walked up to me and asked if I was a missionary. I said yes, and she asked if I could give her a blessing because she has a bad heart condition and was scared she would have a difficult time on the plane. So I gave her a blessing in the middle of the airport! Right there on the chairs in front of her gate, because there were no private places to do it. We were surrounded by people but the spirit was really strong. It was a really cool experience! She was a member of the church, named Tina, and is from Tennessee. I always hear stories about how important it is to always be ready and worthy to give blessings, but I didn't think that opportunity for me would come my first day in the mission field. I was really nervous and didn't really know what I was doing, but it was super good and the feelings I had reminded me why I came on a mission. It felt really good to help someone in need.

Speaking of entering the mission field, I got to New York today! It is SO AMAZING! I am only 1 day in and I have so much love for the other missionaries, the mission president, and the people here. Right after I got off the plane, we were dropped off in Jamaica, in Queens. A bunch of us new missionaries walked down the streets and gave out Books of Mormon to people. It was the scariest thing ever. I talked to so many people on the street, and they either ignored me, cussed at me, or were intrigued and wanted to talk to me! I was paired up with another missionary who has been here for almost 2 years, and he was CRAZY! If someone ignored us on the street, he would CHASE AFTER THEM. We chased down so many people, and I thought it was kind of rude. But doing that, and being persistent, lead to some of the best discussions we had with people! I learned a lot from our few minutes of contacting on the streets. Tomorrow I will get my new companion who will train me, and I will be assigned my first area. For now, I am spending the night in a hotel in Queens. Stay tuned till next Monday to hear whats up.

Con amor,
Elder Webster

Ps. I saw the skyline of Manhattan and a bunch of awesome stuff, but didn't get any pictures. Maybe one day I will get a good picture.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...