Skip to main content

Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Snow!

December 1, 2019

Hola everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving!! This week was pretty interesting for me, because my companion, Elder Stanford, was sick! He had a fever of 102, and also had a problem with his tonsils. So Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we went to the apartment throughout the day because he was told to rest. While he slept, I cooked, cleaned, studied, and just tried to stay productive. But when he woke up, he insisted on still going out and teaching people! What a trooper! He was in a lot of pain but he did well, and we were able to get a lot of people taught.

We had plans for dinner on Thanksgiving with a member named Gustavo. But the night before, he cancelled on us! We were SO SAD! But we were told to contact the mission presidents wife, Sister Teuscher, if we didnt have plans for dinner. Somehow, she found us a family to eat with, which we were VERY GRATEFUL FOR! The family we ate with was so amazing! They were just the nicest people ever, and thanked us for serving missions and told us that we are their heroes. And the food was phenomenal! I said this last week in my email too, but latinos KNOW HOW TO COOK. I dont know what they do, but its magical.

Friday was also magical. We had exchanges! That means we switched companions/areas for the day. I went to a place called Rego Park (which is also in Queens), with Elder Vergara. He is really cool and we have so much in common! It was just an amazing day. He is from McAllen, Texas (Elder Booth from my district in the MTC is serving in his home ward!). He is also the Zone Leader so I learned a lot from him. Anyway, Elder Vergara and I have a LOT of similar interests, and we ate a bunch of food, but we also worked super hard. He walks faster than anyone I have ever met. Like... I cant even explain how fast he walks. We were walking through the mall because it was a shortcut to another street we needed to go to. But we forgot that it was BLACK FRIDAY. It was insanely busy, and Elder Vergara was walking so fast and disappeared into the crowd and I lost him! Haha it was really confusing and scary but after a few minutes we found each other by the exit. I dont recommend Black Friday in NYC. I wasnt even shopping, but it looked scary. On our way home at the end of night, we were both super hungry, so we stopped at a bakery to get some food. We picked out a few things, and when we got to the end of the line to pay, someone else payed for our food! That is VERY rare in New York City! The guy that payed for us wasnt even a member of the church, he just likes missionaries. We gave him a Book of Mormon and got his phone number, so Elder Vergara has a new person to teach. It was really cool, and really rare! We were super happy! ALSO, we were very far from home and needed to take a bus, but we just barely missed the bus by a few seconds, and saw it driving away. It was probably a 30 minute wait for another bus to come, and we didnt want to wait in the cold. Luckily, my whole 3 months of Track practice came in handy, because I chased the bus down for a few blocks and caught it! Elder Vergara was behind me and threw up because he just had a donut from the bakery. It was hilarious. Anyway. It was a good day.

Our plans for Sunday night got cancelled, and our only option was to go out and knock doors. Theres a thing called "prime time", which is the time that people are most likely to be home and willing to talk. That time is 5-9 PM, and we arent allowed to be doing anything else except for teaching during that time. So, at 5, we started knocking doors. Unfortunately, it was SLEETING. I have never even heard of sleet before, but apparently its like snow, but more solid and more painful. We were outside for 2 hours, getting pelted, and getting rejected by people. We were so cold and wet! We eventually decided to go subway contacting so we could get out of the cold. We went up and down on the subway for a few hours, without a destination, with the purpose of talking to people. It was much warmer and dryer, and we were able to talk to a lot more people. I met some super awesome people, and shared videos about Light The World with people on the subway! It was so much fun! My favorite people I met were 2 teenage girls from Norway, here on vacation. Their accents were awesome and it sounds like their home town looks pretty much where Frozen takes place.

Thank you so much to the people that sent me letters this week, both physical letters and emails! I got them and loved them! Thank you for reading my emails too! Love you all so much!

Elder Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...