Skip to main content

Quarantined in the Bronx

March 23, 2020

It is crazy how much can happen in a week! New York City is completely shut down and we have been quarantined all week. We will remain quarantined in our apartment for at least another week, but it is possible it could be extended! Almost all of my friends from home and from the MTC who are serving missions got sent home (some temporarily, some permanently), and I am now one of the few of my friends that are still left in the mission field! That feels really weird. Even some missionaries in MY mission who have been here for awhile got sent home! I am so sad that things are getting shut down, and the work is slowing down! It is currently illegal in the state of New York to gather, in any size! So that means, baptisms are illegal, and going anywhere to talk to anyone is a crime haha. But God has a plan and I am confident things will be okay and will work out! President Teuscher said he has not heard any news yet about if I will be sent home or not, so for now we are just waiting out the virus from inside the apartment and we will see what happens.

As for me and what is happening in my new area, I literally have no idea. I have been inside all week and I don't know my ward, I have never met (in person) the people we teach, and I don't really know what my area looks like. But on the bright side, I know the inside of my apartment VERY well. Luckily, we have smart phones and wifi, so we have been teaching 8+ lessons every day through video chats. Though we are at home all day, we have been able to stay busy 24/7 and still find new people to teach, and help people progress towards baptism. With all missionaries doing work online, the gospel is spreading faster than the Corona Virus! We have been teaching more lessons now than ever because people actually have free time! We are also focusing all our efforts into social media, so we are hopefully reaching more people than ever before. Lots of miracles! But also, lots of time inside, which I don't like very much. We take short walks every once in awhile just to stretch and get some "fresh" air, but the air smells like weed so it really doesn't help us that much haha.

My new comp!!! I feel SO blessed to be quarantined with Elder Goodman!! Of all the people I could be stuck in an apartment with, he is a great one to be with. He is from Rexburg, Idaho, and actually went to the High School that my mom went to! We are super similar! We figured out that we were sitting RIGHT next to each other at the 4th of July parade in Rexburg! How crazy is that?! He is really chill and we get along great! His Spanish skills are a little low just because he is still pretty new, so I have had to step up my game a little and lead the lessons. It has been really good for me and it is really stretching me to learn more!

Other than that, not much else to report. Feel free to email me throughout the week (please) to entertain me, because the work can feel a little slow, even if we are busy! If you want to mail me anything, I will put the address at the bottom of this email. Sadly, I can't receive mail directly to my apartment because it is kind of sketchy and people might steal it. So, you can send stuff directly to the mission office and I will get it eventually! Have a great week!!

700 White Plains Rd Ste 315
Scarsdale NY 10583
United States

Elder Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...