Skip to main content

Bronx Juice

June 1, 2020

So there is this mystery liquid in all of the gutters here in the Bronx. Its a cloudy grey color, mixed in with empty beer bottles and other trash. Sometimes we see mice drinking out of it. We call it "bronx juice" and you can smell it from a block away. It really sums up the overrall vibe here. But this past week, it rained! All of the bronx juice got flushed out and the poop on the sidewalks got cleaned up! It felt really refreshing to smell the rain and see clean streets!

That reminded me of a primary song called "When I Am Baptized". The lyrics say,

"I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain, and ponder on the beauty of an Earth made clean again. I want my life to be as clean as Earth right after rain. I want to be the best I can to live with God again. I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away, and I can be forgiven and improve myself each day."

We all got metaphorical bronx juice inside of us! But I know that can be washed away with baptism (and the sacrament, weekly) so we can feel refreshed and new! I am so hyped to be helping people get that in their lives! I have seen the gospel bring a light into peoples eyes, especially right now with my friends Richard and Anibal! When we talk to them, they always tell us how we are angels sent from God to teach them. We started teaching Richard about a month ago, and he is already almost finished reading the Book of Mormon. Just yesterday, he told us, "I am truly happy. Thank you."

So what I am trying to say is, the gospel is the cure to all bronx juice. Whatever problems you got, there is hope because of Jesus Christ.

Todos de nosotros tenemos desafíos y errores. La vida a veces es difícil. Pero estoy agradecido por Jesucristo, sus enseñanzas, y sacrificio para nosotros. Podemos ser perdonados y limpios si seguimos su ejemplo y actuamos en fe y ser bautizados. Estoy tan emocionado por esta cuarentena terminar para que mis amigos pueden hacer el convenio de bautismo con Dios! Yo se que bautismo es la senda por felicidad eterna.

En el nombre de Jesucristo, amen.

Elder Webster

PS. Today marks 8 months in the mission! And I received and opened my mission call a year ago this week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...