Skip to main content

First Week of Training

June 15, 2020

Hello everyone! My first week of being a trainer went really well! My new companion is Elder Chavez! He is from Chicago, but his family is Puerto Rican, so he speaks fluent spanish! It has been super nice having him in lessons because he actually knows whats going on most of the time. The only thing is, he is still super new so he doesn't talk very often because he doesn't know what to say (which is okay, I did that when I was new too!). We don't have a lot in common (actually, pretty much nothing haha) but thats okay because we get a long and we are both having a good time.

Elder Chavez was VERY surprised his first day here because of how busy we are! He was expecting to come to New York and just chill because we are quarantined, but nope! I wish I could accurately describe how busy we have been, its been insane! We once had 11 lessons in one day! He also had a BUNCH of new missionary meetings, and I had SO MANY District Leader calls to attend, so we always had something to do! His first week definitely took him by surprise, and he has been exhausted! That means I did my job well :)

My favorite part about training so far is getting to see Elder Chavez excited when something goes well! I made him call a referral that we got, and the person was interested in having a lesson with us! He was SO excited that he immediately wrote it down in his journal, and he made a voice recording to explain what happened so he could share his miracle in the district group chat. Some words he used were, "the mission life is the good life!" It reminds me a lot of my first week in New York because I remember being very easily excited about everything that happened haha. Its also kind of funny watching him get really nervous before he calls anyone or before we start lessons. I remember when I was new, I would literally pace back and forth for a couple minutes before knocking on someones door because I was so nervous, and sometimes I would just sit on their doorstep until I figured out what I wanted to say (shoutout to Elder Stanford... he was probably laughing at me throughout all of my training haha). Elder Chavez is a BEAST missionary so I am sure he will get over his fear of calling people a lot quicker than I did!

We are so sad because Anibal, who was supposed to get baptized in 2 weeks, found a job on a farm and left yesterday! He is going to be gone for the summer to earn money, so we had to postpone his baptism to August! But we are still planning on baptizing our friend Heiddy on the 27th, and our other friend Marina on the 4th of July. We hope everything goes according to plan! If there is one thing I have learned on my mission, its that plans usually change, so pray for them to be able to make their baptismal date!

The city is finally starting to re-open, and we can finally do baptisms next week! ALSO, I HAVE NOT HAD A HAIRCUT SINCE THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY, and it is currently the middle of June! I never thought that on my mission I would stop going to church for like 5 months, grow out my hair super long, and spend most my time on social media haha. So crazy!

Thats all the updates for this week, have a good week!

Elder Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...