Skip to main content

Making Mischievous Missionary Make Meaningful Multimedia Messages to Many Mates

July 20, 2020

Hello everyone!!!

This week honestly felt really slow. Not too much happened other than the transfer call on Saturday. I am staying here in Olmstead for 6 more weeks to finish training Elder Chavez, and I am continuing as District Leader. So, nothing new. But, all the missionaries that are staying in my district are becoming trainers!! So now the district is just full of people that don't know what they are doing, which is fun.

I have a story I want to tell but it requires some background information. So, I haven't written much about this because I don't want to talk negatively, but for the purpose of the story I want to share, I have to preface with the fact that Elder Chavez is not... the best missionary. I won't go into detail, but his desire to be obedient is not very high, and I have been working so so so hard to try to whip him into shape. One thing he struggles with is Facebook. I noticed he has been checking up on what his friends from home are posting, adding friends from home, and just kind of... not using Facebook for missionary work. One day I said, "Why do you keep looking at your friends from back home?", and he said "Uhh... well... I'm not going to wait 2 years to share the gospel with them!". I could tell that his motives for checking up on his home life were not actually to share the gospel. So, in an attempt to try and teach him the PURPOSE of us using Facebook, I said "You're right. Why wait 2 years? You should send all those friends a message right now and share your testimony with them!"

He was not excited about that idea and did not want to do it. But me, trying to teach him that EVERYTHING we do should help us achieve our purpose of inviting others to come unto Christ, made him do it anyway. I didn't want to be too harsh on him, so I did it first to show him that it's not scary. I messaged a nonmember friend from home and brought up the gospel. I am not sure if that is allowed, but for the sake of teaching Elder Chavez that we ONLY use Facebook to do missionary work, I felt like it was justified. The friend that I messaged didn't answer me, so I probably just ruined our whole friendship haha. But honestly, if it helps Elder Chavez learn how to be a better missionary, I don't even mind. I made Elder Chavez go through and message all his friends and share the gospel with them haha. Hopefully he learned something from that experience.

We are teaching a guy named Nazareth and he seems golden! We found him about a week ago, and he has already gone to church twice, read half of 1 Nephi, given us 9 referrals, he already has friends in the ward, and he committed to be baptized without even hesitating! He is super cool!

That's all my updates for this week! Adios!

Elder Webster

P.S. Shoutout to my brother, Jordan, for the email subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...