Skip to main content

WE DID IT!!

July 27, 2020

Guess what! WE DID IT! The New York City Mission is no longer quarantined! FREEDOM! 19 weeks, or 130 days of pioneering a new method of missionary work all ended on... Pioneer Day! God is so funny. You could see the entire mission's jaw drop in unison when we heard the news over a zoom call, it was crazy. We still need to wear masks if we are within 6 feet of anyone, and we still can't knock doors or start up conversations with people on the street. But we can finally teach people in person, go on exchanges, and all that other normal missionary stuff we used to enjoy. Sadly, though we are authorized to teach in person, many people are hesitant to let us into their homes, so we still don't have many opportunities to leave the house haha. I think it will take some time for things to become completely normal again, and we will continue to use the internet for missionary work because it's honestly way more effective than getting doors slammed on us.


This week was super fun! Transfers happened this past week and everyone got switched around, but Elder Chavez and I are staying together for a little longer so I can finish training him. There were SO many new missionaries that came into the mission that they had to spread out their arrivals between Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I was in a temporary trio for a few days because Elder Calder's companion got transferred Tuesday morning, but his trainee flew in late Wednesday night. So we had to go to Concourse to pick up Elder Calder and he stayed with us for a few days so that he wasn't alone until his new companion arrived! It was SO much fun! We had to teach our lessons AND his lessons, so we had like 15 lessons in 1 day. It was the best!

Elder Calder is from Idaho Falls and we actually met each other before our missions! We have a LOT in common and we were laughing pretty much the entire time we were together. It was so fun! His new companion flew in on Wednesday night, but there was a storm so the flight was delayed and he got here at around midnight, which meant that we got to stay up and play board games until he arrived. Our apartment is barely big enough for 2 missionaries, but we fit 4 elders in the apartment for a night! It was cramped but super fun! We woke up the next morning, ate breakfast, and Elder Calder and his new missionary headed back to their original area.

One last thing! Our friend Nazareth (we call him Lil Naz) is progressing SO well! We invited him to read Alma 40, and he took 4 pages of notes about it! When we call him, he always asks us to give him more reading assignments so he can keep learning! He also takes notes during our lessons, which I wish everyone did! Every time we talk to him, I am blown away because he is just SO ready and willing to get baptized! He could honestly get baptized this week if he wanted to, but he said he doesn't want to rush his conversion. He is planning on getting baptized on August 29th, right before I get transferred out of this area. He is so cool!

Things are going well over here in the 'ole Bronx. Have a good week!

Elder Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Land of Spider-man

November 17, 2019 Hola! All is well here in New York City! I CANNOT believe how amazing it is here, and how happy I am doing the work I am doing. There is nowhere I would rather be, and no work I would rather be doing. I have found so much more joy than I thought was possible in being a missionary. I've had so many incredible experiences this week, but I will only share a few for the sake of time, and for the sake of the length of this email. So buckle up, there's a lot I want to share with you all but I don't want to bore anyone so I will try to condense it. My new companion is named Elder Stanford! He is from San Francisco California, and is one heck of a guy! He is the best trainer I could ask for, and I love him so much. Seriously, no complaints. The area I was assigned to serve in is called Richmond Hill! Its in Queens (and a little bit of Brooklyn), and I love it so much! Its literally where Spiderman lives! The high school that they filmed Spiderman at is really ...

#Bendecido

April 27, 2020 Wow! You would think I would run out of updates to write about since we are still stuck at home, but I have some news! But first, thank you so much to everyone that sent Elder Goodman and I something! We got like 6 meals delivered to us throughout the week and some packages and letters! It was a fantastic birthday! I feel super blessed! When I asked people to send me stuff last week I was kind of joking because I didn't think anyone would actually do it, but we have been LOADED with food and packages! Thank you everyone! I also feel mega blessed because WE FINALLY KILLED A MOUSE! After many sleepless nights, trips to the store for traps, and praying, we got 1! We have seen rats and other mice too, so the war is not over. But 1 mouse is progress! We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Elder Goodman and I are both staying in Olmstead. But the thing is, since so many missionaries got sent home, a bunch of areas have been shut down. The entire Chinese Zone clo...

Urgent Care + TRANSFERS!

March 16, 2020 It's a crazy time to be a missionary, for sure! Due to the Coronavirus, church was canceled worldwide, and everyone is avoiding contact with everyone! It makes it a little hard for us to work because... inviting people to church and talking to as many people as possible is what we do! I am not entirely sure how to do missionary work effectively in this circumstance, but we are figuring it out one day at a time. Because we try to talk to literally everyone we see, I actually got sick this week! Elder Larson and I were told to stay inside to rest and to avoid spreading anything. We have been at home for the past 3 days! The mission doctor also asked me to go to Urgent Care, just to make sure I didn't have Corona Virus. They took my blood and ran tests. Turns out, I AM OKAY. Thank goodness! They still don't want us to leave the house though because of everything that's going on in the world. So, we have been doing as much missionary work from home as we ...